Friday, December 12, 2008

Notes from a World Traveler: JAPAN

As I prepare to head back to Europe, I have had time to contemplate on all the places I have traveled to in the last two years.  It is funny - before I got married (February 9, 2007) I had only ever been to the US, Canada, and Mexico.  Since that time, I've been to countless countries, including England, France, Spain, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Malta, Czech Republic, Liechtenstein, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin, Bahamas, and of course, Italy.  I've spent Euros, Dollars, Pounds, and Yen... which bring me to perhaps the most unique place I visited: JAPAN.  I traveled there in the spring of 2007 to shoot a documentary on Matcha Green Tea for Booster Juice, and now looking back realize what an incredible place it is.

Above is the video from our journey, the story of Matcha Green Tea.  Booster Juice serves a Matcha smoothie but also a quick shot -- because it is the healthiest beverage in the world on a per gram basis, loaded with antioxidants and other nutrients.  The reason Matcha is so good is that it is ground into a fine powder, so you consume the actual tea leaves as opposed to normal steeped teas.  Over the course of our journey I was blown away by the perfection in the Japanese culture - everything has been planned to the final detail, and Matcha is no exception.  The Tea Grower we met was a 4th generation farmer, as was the Zen Monk, who is carrying on 23 generations of Zen Buddhist monks who have used Matcha.  Enjoy the video - and try Matcha Green Tea!  (We actually found some in Prague!) 

Even the Sake bottles are artistic in Japan.

Upon arrival, reading the subway map was our biggest challenge.

We caught a glimpse iconic Mt. Fuji as we screamed by on the bullet train from Kyoto to Tokyo.

Papers filled with prayers link together outside of a temple in Nagoya.

Bamboo groves in Kyoto.

Our first stop was in a city called Nagoya - I had never even heard of it but, like all things in Japan, was extremely developed and insanely busy!  (Red Sky is a filter)

A Golden Temple in the historic city of Kyoto.

Food = NOT ITALY!  Name one thing in this bowl I can even name, let alone EAT!

Sipping traditional tea in traditional garb.  To my right is Booster Juice president & co-founder Dale Wishewan.

A visit to an Imperial Palace in Nagoya was a highlight.

While I was too busy to really explore the whole country, I recommend a trip to Japan!

~ J. Twice

2 comments:

George said...

You look nice in a kimono.

DPLassen said...

And it's even in Wildcat blue, too.