Sunday, August 30, 2009

Raiders Youth Training Camp

My new favorite photo - click to make big and save as your screensaver.  
I was just walking off the field when this moment appeared in front of me, and all I could think of was a famous FCA photo that hangs on the PLU Football office door.  This picture to me is what football is all about!

For the past week, the youth teams of the SWARCO Raiders attended their annual training camp in Wagrain, Austria.  It was a great mix of fun and football, with the four separate squads holding two-a-day practices, participating in team building activities, and getting ready for their season openers.  I attended the camp as a quarterbacks coach, working on fundamentals with the young QBs and assisting with the offensive skill players on the older teams.

The amount of time and energy spent on their youth program is the reason I believe the SWARCO Raiders have won back to back Eurobowl titles.  While players in other European countries often do not start playing until the senior team, SWARCO Raiders can begin as young as the age of 9 with the Minis, continuing up through the ranks of their 4 teams: Minis (9-12), Schülers (12-14), Jugend (14-16), and Juniors (16-19).  The coaches for these teams are mainly the senior players, giving the young players positive role models and a vision for where they hope to end up.  American coaches Santos Carrillo (Sr. Team Head Coach) and Nick Johansen (Sr. Team OLine Coach) stay in Austria year round for this purpose, and provide leadership & direction for the program as well.  I was VERY impressed!!!    

For any European team looking to make the jump to the next level, my best advice is to develop your own national players, and that starts with a strong fundamental base developed through many years of training!

The Schülers head to the line during a scrimmage.

The Camp brought back a lot of memories from my own youth, when I was just learning the game and still getting used to wearing pads.  I'm sure if my brother was here right now he'd want me to tell the story of my first American Football camp -- where I was just a skinny little 8th grader attending my Grandfather's PLU Football Camp.  During the final scrimmage an event occurred that would shape my football future: my brother was the quarterback of my team, and I was coming in motion from the receiver position for a reverse.  A stud 12th grade defensive end came free and was about to kill Chad, so he made the smart play and pitched me the ball... just in time for the killer to hit me!!!  I flew threw the air and landed to the ground with a loud THUD.  I couldn't breathe.  I couldn't see.  But the only thought in my head was, "GET UP!  It's your Grandpa's camp and no one can know you are hurt!"  I bounced up, still not sure exactly where I was.  But somehow, I finished the scrimmage and ended up throwing my first TD pass of my career.  It was at that moment I knew that I could take a hit, and that I wanted to be a football player.  So what if I couldn't get out of bed for the next three days...    

Any time is a good time to jump into the water.

The weather at camp was glorious - about 27 degrees Celcius (80 F) everyday.  However, on the final morning of camp, a thunderstorm rolled into the area bringing with it buckets of rain.  The two youngest teams were just kicking off practice, and I thought it the perfect moment to grab my camera and capture the feelings of just being a kid playing a game.  It was a lot of fun, and I really appreciate them letting me snap some photos.  So here is my old school, Black and White photojournalistic view of training camp.  Enjoy!   


Smiles - what its all about.

The I Formation is a staple of 9-man football, which all teams younger than 16 play in Austria.  While these young offenses play without guards, the skills they learn carry over and set the foundation for future Eurobowl titles!

Hang on ball!

"Go down to the Cadillac, and turn around."

Defensive Huddle - a meeting of the swords.

This mini-LB is a walking commercial for Under Armour... we must PROTECT THIS HOUSE!

Offensive Line coach Nick Johansen serves as the offensive coordinator for two youth squads, the Schülers and the Juniors.  Here he gives some encouragement to some of his players.

Two Minis go at it, much to the delight of coach Mario Rinner

Minis QB preparing for a tackling / running drill.

What's better than playing in the water?

Practice ended with the Schüler coach, Bis, demonstrating proper push-up form... IN THE WATER!  The players loved it, and it was a great bonding moment to end a memorable morning. 

~J. Twice

No comments: