Sunday, February 21, 2010

USA - Canada

Here's a running account of taking in the USA - Canada hockey game live from hockey universe headquarters, Vancouver. Or a I described it on m facebook, a battle between a country who doesn't care about hokey with the one who does more than anything.

3:45 pm - before leaving my hotel I don my team USA hat. I refrain from calling it a toque. There will be no canadian lingo today.

4:01 - I bounce through Yaletown as a sea of canadians in red and white walk past. I thank my lucky stars that this passive country shares nothing in common with my favorite soccer club, Chelsea. If so I could expect to be pummeled for my hat.

4:05 - I arrive outside Yaletown brewery, a cool hangout that resembles my local joint, The Ram, back home. They are charging a $20 cover for the bar so I sneak in. How American.

4:18 - I finish my count and realize I'm outnumbered 735 to 4. I give the other Americans a nod (a California couple and their son) and order a wheat beer for courage.

4:24 - the tv shows the finish to the women's speed skating. Canada has the favorite. The crowd goes wild. Free thundersticks create a deafening noise. Canada gets silver. The crowd sighs. Business as usual.

4:25 - hefeweizen #2

4:34 - Just minutes before the puck drops, text messages roll in. Jake wonders if my house is divided. Chris reminds me of the $100 bet we made under the influence of other hefeweizen. The tension grows.

4:39 - a non-descript 50 year old jumps on a table and reminds the crowd "6 minutes! 6 minutes!" I must be in Canada.

4:45 - You gotta love Canada. No pre-game fireworks. No lazer light shows or starting line-ups. The coverage begins just moments before the game starts with just a quick "welcome to GM Place" and the game starts. Here we go.

4:46 - Just :43 seconds into the game, the US scores!!! I laugh and remind Chris that at this rate the final will be 60 - 0. The crowd is stunned.

4:57 - Hefe #3 served. Feeling courageous.

5:00 - Canada scores! Shiezah! Maybe it won't be that easy. Randoms chest bump.

5:01 - USA answers :21 sec later! I love it!!! 2-1 USA. Now I'm chest bumping.

5:05 to 6:17 - the teams trade goals but the US continues to lead 3-2. I begin to see the canadians lose their spirit as they trade quips and talks about, "If only Gretzky was here!"

6:25 - Nervous, I switch to captain Morgan and am rewarded by a huge US goal! 4-2 red, white, and blue. The canadians play loud music (ironically about hockey) to stay motivated and say things like, "dat US goalie is standing on his head, eh."

6:48 - Crosby lucky goal... 4-3 Usa with two minutes to play. The crowd erupts as if they're offering free kokanee.

6:55 - Canada attacks furiously and pulls their goalie. I respond with chants of, "Overrated!" I feel like I'm in the duke student section. USA clinches empty goal 5-3! Woot woot!!!!!!! Let the chants begin!!!

Good times!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments:

DPLassen said...

Must've been a blast. Let us know when Christie lets you back in the door.

Unknown said...

Make sure you try the Winterale at the Granville Island Brewery - maybe that was the one you were at?? Billy the beer expert says it is to die for - or to watch your hockey team lose for. Maybe we should send Team Canada some beer before the game to loosen them up. Congrats to Team USA but don't wear that hat at my house"""
Terry

George said...

Shocker, eh?

I am 100% in agreement with what the last guy said!