Sunday, April 26, 2009

A Minnesota Visit

The Johnson Clan

While playing football and traveling are two things I enjoy immensely, there is also a time when you realize that family is the most important thing in life.  With this in mind, we decided to spend our bye week visiting my family in Minnesota instead of heading off to Spain, Ireland, or some other European adventure.  And I can say without a moment of hesitation that it was a great time! 

Bob and Lenore Johnson have been the corner of Shakopee and Sibley for almost 35 years.

My "fix-anything" Grandpa Bob has become known as the Bike Man to local kids as he has been selling & repairing used bikes for years.  If you are in the need for a good bike in Minneapolis, look him up!

Taking a spin on the riding lawn mower is about as Midwestern American as it gets.

We spent our time in Minnesota relaxing with family, sharing old stories, and playing cards.  This was a great change of pace from my usual "hurricane" lifestyle and blitzkrieg trips through Europe... and actually taught me a lot about myself.  At the same time, there was a brand new Gold's Gym around the corner from my grandparent's house, and I was able to capitalize on my body's time-change confused state to hold five consecutive  "6 am mid-season boot camp" workouts. 

3 Generations of Johnson golfers

One of the highlights of the trip was playing a round of golf with my dad, Jim, and Grandfather, Bob.  Golf has been a staple in our family for years, and to be out there on the course with them was a memory I won't ever forget!

Like father...

... like son...

... like grandson!

My 7-month pregnant sister Heather had also flown out from Washington, and it was great to see her too!  We threw her our own "1 minute shower" and gave her a couple small gifts to get her started!

Sister-In-Law photo op!

Christie showing her "beginner's luck" in the card game "GUTS" with my grandpa.

The family at church... not the same architecture as in Europe, but with a more comprehensible language

A Minnesota-style sunset over lake #8,341 out of 10,000.

Jason Johnson and Jason Johnson

One really interesting (and cool) sidenote is that my cousin Courtney is now married... to a man named JASON JOHNSON!  That's right... double J-Twice action!!!  Jason is an awesome guy (with a name like that, though, how could he not be???!!) and makes the name proud.  The only question is... with two J. Twice's around... does that make us, J-QUAD?

141 pound St. Bernard "Captain" was a little pooped at the end of the trip.

THANKS TO THE WHOLE MINNESOTA JOHNSON CLAN FOR ALL THE LOVE AND GOOD TIMES!!!

~ J. Twice

4 comments:

Unknown said...

When I first looked at the picture I thought the Johnson Clan had all showed up in Austria - instead the small Johnson Clan ended up in Minn.

Very cool - families are good things to be close to - my love to all
Terry

Anonymous said...

J-
Thanks for sharing these special pics and moments with your family in Minn. I bet Bob and Christie took everybody to the cleaners in cards!)Miss Ya!
Tam

The Lindermans said...

Ya' sure you betcha! HONESTLY....love you bro! Thanks for the great pics and post. It was so awesome to see you guys. I'm having bean and jello withdrawals. ;) Hope you had a safe and relatively easy trip back.

DPLassen said...

I'm thinking there are some great comic possibility for Christmas gift exchanges with two Jason Johnsons in the family.