Friday, June 26, 2009

Croatia Journal: Day 2


Photobucket

After such a great first day in Croatia, I was wondering if the second could live up to my new high expectations I had for the country.  I didn't have to wait long to find out.  I awoke around 6:30 am to the sound of birds outside our window.  Light was streaming in, and I didn't want to wake anyone up, so I decided to go for a walk, which reminds me of another "Euro-travel tip": if you want to get a good feel for a city, take a walk early in the morning and watch it "wake up."  You will discover some amazing things. 

The Castle of Krk in the morning light - spectacular!

I followed the coastline for about 10 minutes towards the old town.  A handful of early risers were swimming, but other than them it was just me and the chirping birds.  I spent about an hour taking pictures (see first image on this blog), then made my way to the harbor where fishermen were returning with nets full of fish.  There was a small outdoor cafe - the only one open in the whole city at that hour, where about 20 men had gathered.  I had no idea what they were doing, other than just doing what old men do.  I joined them, ordering a cappuccino that cost me only .70 euro... what a great start to the day! 

Our first of two swimming holes in the morning

After breakfast we went to a small cove near our hotel to "take sun" and swim around.  The water was SO CLEAR!!!  I have never seen cleaner, clearer water... and I've seen a lot of water in my day!  (That is the old men from the cafe rubbing off on me.)  We enjoyed the sun until about noon, when we decided to pack up and head to the town of Baska 15 km away.  The beach there was far more commercial - a 2 km promenade followed the half-moon bay - but the water was equally as nice!

The "Copacabana" beach at Baska... not exactly the same as Rio, but very nice in its own right!

What the... is Michael Bolton in Croatia?!

Umbrellas... 

Those small little people - that's us!

At night, we cleaned up and headed into the city of Krk for another great dining experience.  This time it was fresh Sea Bass caught that day and served whole.  As I finished my meal, I said for the 100th time that day, "I love Croatia."

Christie in her Croatian Blue dress!

The Chorley Women looking Glam

This picture was too cute - had to post it!

Lynn enjoying her Sea Bass!

To end the evening, we found one of the most unique little bars I have ever encountered.  It was nothing more than the outside of the castle, lit by torches, next to the sea!  There were a few soft pads laid out over the rocks, and a small wooden bar selling just three choices: wine, beer, and Coke.  Five musicians held an accoustic jam session at the bottom of the rocks, and we soaked it in.  HVALA CROATIA!  (Thank you!) 

A perfect end to another perfect Croatian day...

~ J. Twice

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The first picture is amazing. You can see all the way from the edge with the small waves lapping the short to the top of the ruins in the back and it is all clear. Wonderful, I love that pic.

Miss you guys. Hi to Lynn
Terry

Anonymous said...

Some beautiful shots... Thanks for including Ashley in your travels...She is lucky to be able to see some beautiful parts of the world..
Good luck in the Eurobowl. We will be watching from Plano Tx rooting for the Raiders...

Steve Funk (Ashleys dad)

Sandra said...

Hello,

You have taken most amasing photos of old Krk town. We especially like the one taken in the early morning - the colours are absolutely fantastic. We are wondering if we can get a permission to use this photo on our website - we will give you a credit for it. The page on which we would like to use the photo is http://www.aurea-krk.com/krk-town, as a part of our Krk City photo gallery. You can reply to us at email webmaster@aurea-krk.com.
Again, absolutely wonderful photos, rare find!

Kristína said...

Krk is my favourite place in Croatia. Hope I'll go there again soon.