Saturday, July 25, 2009

Summer in Sicily: Day 2

JONICA JUMP PICTURE!!!

Claud enjoying a Corona at Capannine.  I get paid on this blog based on the number of times I use the letter "C."  This spot was also his favorite place to send me taunting text messages when it was raining in Innsbruck!

Our second day in Sicily was filled with two of my favorite things: Capannine (a private beach club along Catania's sandy Playa Beach) and Jonica (the best pizza in Aci Castello.)  There hasn't been such a good combination since Montana to Rice! 


At Capaninne, you can sit under a number of "little huts" (literally capaninne),  enjoy some fresh fruit and beverages at their snack bar, swim in the warm sea, or play in the most competitive beach volleyball courts in Sicily.  We did a little bit of all, as well as some of the best people watching available! 

Ottavio going up for a spike!

What is Alex Hoad doing in Sicily?  The pink speedo is a classic!

So many of our Austrian friends popping up in Sicily... I can't believe Yusuf made it down here!  Good thing he didn't see us get his "lean" on...

You know how I know you're... nevermind.

I can't believe how much we missed the beach!

PIZZA PARTY!!!

At night, we gathered with a large number of Elephants & family for a huge pizza party at our favorite pizza joint in Aci Castello, Jonica.  It is a running joke with the team that the Americanos pronounce it JON-ica, with a hard "J" sound, while the actual pronunciation begins with a "Y" sound and the accent on the second syllable... yon-I-ca.  I'm sure it's only one of about 100 words I butcher every day in the Italian language, but I must say my skills are improving.  Today during volleyball I was even able to comprehend Claudio complaining to the others during the game about my bad shots!

Anyways, these types of gatherings were a staple - almost daily - during our time in Sicily, and really made us feel welcome.  It was great catching up with everyone!!! 

Salvo and his ever-growing, basketball-playing, always smiling son Guglielmo!

Christie with Sicilian Sister #1, Roberta

Christie with Sicilian Sister #2, Roberta

Salvo's other son - the rambunctious Riccardo - enjoys a pizza of what else? FRENCH FRIES!

GUSTAVO!!!
Gus was our right hand man last year, with responsibilities ranging from translator to plumber to broken glass negotiator (I do not know).  Gus, can you translate your shirt for us please?

Elephants team president / coach / former right-tackle Davide with future Elephants team president / coach / right tackle Alessandro.

WHAT AN AMAZING SECOND DAY IN SICILY!!!

~ J. Twice

2 comments:

George said...

GOOD TIMES INDEED!!!

Laurie said...

I wish we could have been there with you, too. We really miss you guys and all of our friends in Catania.