Monday, November 2, 2009

Sprinkles: Supercupcakes?





There's a seen in PULP FICTION where John Travolta's character comes across the infamous five dollar milkshake. The scene goes something like this:

Buddy Holly: How do you want that shake - Martin and Lewis or Amos and Andy?

Mrs. Mia Wallace (Uma Thurman): Martin and Lewis.

Vincent Vega (Travolta): Did you just order a five dollar shake? That's a shake . . . that's milk and ice cream.

Mrs. Mia Wallace: Last I heard.

Vincent Vega: That's five dollars? You don't put bourbon in it or nothin'? (No) Just checking.

-----
Vincent Vega (after drinking the shake): Goddamn, this is a pretty fu**ing good milkshake.

Mrs. Mia Wallace: Told ya.

Vincent Vega: I don't know if it's worth five dollars, but it's pretty fu**ing good.




And so we come to SPRINKLES BEVERLY HILLS, a store that sells cupcakes in the same manner as Travolta's shake. Having spent the last two years in Europe, I was unaware of this latest entry in the "use cool marketing and design to overcharge for a basic item" contest. Yet Christie and I could not ignore the lines everyday in front of this Scottsdale boutique, so we wandered in to see what the fuss was about.




There were a dozen or so varieties, mostly a mix of chocolate and vanilla. I'm no Sherlock Holmes, but these super cupcakes seemed to bear a striking resemblence to (gasp) regular cupcakes. $7.02 later we had purchased two cupcakes - red velvet for the lady and chocolate marshmellow for myself. I was eager to see if this was as good as Vincent's, but unfortunately I must report that it tasted exactly like a... Normal Cupcake.

Alas, I had not discovered the Krispy Kreme of kupkakes... But at least I can finally say I shopped at the same place as Paris Hilton.

Sweet dreams, JTwice

Posted from my iPhone

No comments: