Sunday, July 13, 2008

Hot Sicilian Summer Nights

The harbor of Marzamemi glistens in the moonlight... reminding me of my favorite Joker quote.

After an incredible day at the beach in Portopalo, we spent a warm Saturday night in the equally cool beach town of Marzamemi.

Located just 15 minutes up the coast (and passed some very interesting castle ruins), Marzamemi is actually an historic fishing village.  It has Arabic-inspired architecture (very similar to Malta in fact), and an interesting town square filled with outdoor patio restaurants, churches, and shops.

Group Shot!

Fisherman's Square (not the official name, but the cool old town square where fisherman gathered 'back in the day' for some good ol' chats after a long day on the sea!)

We shared a great meal - where I rediscovered one thing I have known my whole life: ice cold Coca-Cola in a GLASS BOTTLE tastes much better than out of a plastic bottle or aluminum can.  In order to verify the fact, our table went through about 9 liter bottles... but for the first time in months my thirst had finally been quenched!

J. Twice feeling GOOD in the heat.

The gate into the old city - amazing ambiance as shops spill light into the street and soft music plays.

It is going to places like this that makes me realize how SPECIAL of an island Sicily really is - for I have been to hundreds of great places so far, and are still discovering new "sweet spots" like Marzamemi!  (Plus, just around the corner in Pachino comes the best Cherry Tomatoes in Italy... what more could you want?!)

Big Cotton Candy for the Big Guys!  These two are clones of my brother Chad and I at their age!

Double Boat.

Ask MATT EPPERSON for an explanation of this shirt... then say it on live television.

~ J. Twice

No comments: