Sunday, July 20, 2008

So when we finally reached Agrigento...

According to my guide book, the ruins at the Valley of Temples are really old.

After our crazy "gas experience" a few days ago, we actually did end up making it to Agrigento, home to the Valley of Temples and some of the best preserved Doric Temples outside of Greece.  The sheer size of the temples blew me away - as did the fact that they did all of this with such limited technology!

Christie in front of the Temple of Hera.

My brother in law, Chris Lindermann (also of the Heather Lindermann "Ad of the Day" fame), is a major Greek History Buff, and the whole time I was walking around the area I was wishing he was there to tell me all the cool backstories that make such ruins more interesting.  (You always wish someone will point to a big stone column and say, 'this is where they cut people in HALF!')  Instead, I was simply left to my humble Sicilian guidebook, which indicated that the temples date back to 581 BC and honored Hercules and other 'local legends.'  I'm pretty sure that if Gelato was around back then, there would have been a huge stone monument to that as well. 


Christie and Marnie engage in a little Greek Tug of War.

Canadians always get a kick out of pretending to hold things up.  SAC!

The Temple of Conchord sits high above the Valley Below.  It is actually so well preserved because it became a Christian place of worship in the 3rd century.  There are a number of Christian catacombs in the area as well.

This would be an album cover if Christie and I were a musical group.

"Wasn't that a McDonald's back in ancient times?"

The fields of Sicily have gone from a bright green color to streaks of gold.  This is the land surrounding Agrigento.

~ J. Twice

1 comment:

The Lindermans said...

JJ - Thanks for the shoutout buddy, Chris and I would have loved to have been there with you...but its about time you learn how to spell our last name...Linderman...ONE "n" :) SAC

Love you!
H