Saturday, February 7, 2009

Living the Dream Gallery Show

The Three Amigos: JJ, Wei Wong, and Dale MacMillan

On the eve of my departure to Austria, we fittingly closed the last chapter of our Italian venture by hosting a special art gallery opening & show of Italian images.  The show, entitled "LIVING THE DREAM" after our motto, featured some of my pictures along with my two close friends from Edmonton, Dale MacMillan and Wei Wong.  Last year, Dale & Wei took a three week trip to visit us in Italy, spending a week in Sicily before heading north on a whirlwind tour of Italy.

Two friends admire my picture "SLIVER," which depicts a gondola.

The show was a big success, as we welcomed over 300 guests & art buffs.  Wine was imported from outside of Venice, while authentic "appertivo" was served by Sorrentino's Cafe, a quick-service restaurant concept owned and operated by my good friends Rick Botello and his wife Kristina.  It was "bellissimmmma!"  To top it off, three local media outlets covered the event, including a live television broadcast from Edmonton's CityTV.  As they interviewed me, I kept thinking to myself, for once I'm not talking about FOOTBALL!

Some Wei Wong "REFRECTION" photography.

SOLD!  (Look close to see the sign!)  I can now say I'm a 'professional' as my picture from a Tuscan cellar was one of the first pieces of the night to go.

A wall of smaller images, including some from Cinque Terra, Etna, and Agrigento.

My picture of "POSITANO" was fitting for a natural "POSITOLOGIST."

JJ and WW

Dale's classic sidewalk cafe.

Two images of our favorite Italian travel destination, the Cinque Terra.

There is a story behind every picture -- the wave on the right is one I shot while checking my email last year at the Baia Verde hotel in Aci Castello, about 5 minutes from our house.  Had we had wireless internet last year, I might not have got this shot!

It was an incredible night to share with friends and celebrate the beauty of Italy.  It was also a great way to say goodbye on the eve of our departure.  The biggest question of the night was, "WHERE ARE YOU GOING NEXT YEAR?!"  The early money is on Greece, with Spain nipping at its heels, but you can be sure that LIVING THE DREAM, PART 2 will be a success.

YOU CAN VIEW MORE OF MY PICS AT JASONJOHNSONPHOTOGRAPHY.COM, and SOON AT

Now we're off to Austria... so until next time, ARRIVEDERCI! 

~ J. Twice

5 comments:

George said...

Congratulations, it all sounded so AWESOME!

Anonymous said...

RAD

Unknown said...

It was a great showing - very impressed with the work from all three photographers. Sure brought back the memories of Italy from last year. I had to settle for buying small prints of my favourites, but at least I have those. Bella
Best wishes for the same fond memories in Austira.
Terry

Anonymous said...

How fantastic! Another feather in your cap!

My best wishes to you both in Austria.

George will meeting me in Mexico this Thursday for Andy and Jenn's wedding on Saturday. I am leaving for Italy in March and staying until mid-July. Hopefully we will be able to meet up somewhere!

Love, Laurie

Milton Leeper said...

Very impressive blog...Thanks for the post!
Hotel Frankfurt-Oder