Monday, October 12, 2009

A few of my favorite pics from Year Two

Colorful Riomaggiore in the Cinque Terre, Italy

After returning home to North America, I began organizing some of my favorite images from the past 8 months we spent in Europe. It is tough to choose a favorite, as we were blessed to visit some pretty unique spots on the continent -- full of color, life, and magic. The following few images help tell the story of our travels, and speak of the natural & manmade beauty that exists in Europe. In the coming months I will be selling many of my best prints online, so stay tuned for information. Enjoy!

CROATIA: Plitvicka Jezera

This UNESCO World Heritage site sits along the eastern border of Croatia and is comprised of countless waterfalls flowing between brilliant emerald color lakes. I had seen them photographed before, but there was one particular shot I had in mind. I couldn't quite figure out where to get above the falls until we had been at the park for a few hours. Working my way along a cliff, I found a high trail and was able to walk out onto a dangerous rocky outcropping. I held on to a tree with one hand and steadied my tripod with the other. It was worth it - this image evokes the feeling of walking on water.

ITALY: Venice

Venice is truly the most unique city in the world, on one hand ancient and on the other strikingly beautiful. It is also the most photographed. The question is how to get an original shot. The city is flooded each day - not by water but by tourists. It is difficult to find a quiet corner during the day, so I waited until nightfall to get this shot. Crossing what seemed like 100 bridges, I finally found a quiet corner where a lone gondola sat tied to the side of a canal. There was hardly any light left - forcing me to leave my lens open for almost 30 seconds to get the shot. I was worried that the boat would bob in the water and make it blurry on the image, but lucky for me the water was so still that the boat didn't move an inch! The result is a picture that would make Marco Polo proud.

IRELAND: Two Doors

We visited Ireland for only 72 hours, but left with enough memories to fill a scrapbook. The people on this island are so friendly, it takes only moments to go from tourist to local! I remember walking into a pub in Westport on our first night, and the bartender immediately noticed by my accent that, "You're not from around these parts." He offered the first pint of Guinness on the house - straight out of a movie - and left us to enjoy the fiddle jam-session that had broken out in the corner. Many people photograph the rolling green hills and striking cliffs - but it was these two simple doors that caught my eye. Someone once told me that a good image should be able to tell a complete story, and this one seemed to to offer a metaphor for life. Which door, though, is up to you.

SWITZERLAND: Luzern

Locked into the middle of Europe is its only neutral member - Switzerland. Here the quality of living is superb, and it seems that every corner of the country is personally cleaned by a toothpick. The city of Luzern speaks of this - with a charming historic center located on a clear Alpine lake. I caught the reflection of the lights from the shops at sunset, and thought this picture summed up in one word how neat the country appears.

AUSTRIA: Salzburg

The town of Salzburg is known for its melodies, from Mozart to the Sound of Music. However, it is the looming medieval castle that has kept it peacefully intact throughout centuries of conflict. I saw this perch from the downtown, and was able to navigate up to the viewpoint for a fantastic full-moon shot. I think every major town in Europe has a river running through its center - they must have had photographers in mind when they built it. Now if I can only find Julie Andrews...

ITALY: Milan's Duomo

They say the third time is the charm, and it was for me when photographing the Milan duomo. The church is the 3rd largest cathedral in Europe, the epitome of Gothic style. It looms over the square in a way that can't be captured in a picture - and hadn't been by me during my first two visits to the city. On this third trip, I was determined to get a good shot... only the weather turned from bad to worse. The rain began pouring down on us, and I knew I only had a small window of opportunity to get a shot. Lucky for me, the rain allowed the lights to reflect, and the umbrellas began popping up everywhere. This created a cool contrast between the old building and the life swirling around it in Italy's northern capital of commerce.

~ J. Twice

No comments: