Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Made the leap to Twitter

Ok, go ahead and call me a hypocrite. Call me a traitor, sellout, or any other similar sounding deragivative, if deragivative is even in fact a word. After publically bashing the application Twitter just a few weeks ago, on this very blog, I've now joined the millions of Tweeters. My user name: @jasonjohnson6.





What caused my change of heart, and why might I need a Twitter account? (Seeing as I currently don't have a head coach to bash, a la Kansas City running back Larry Johnson.) It is actually a question everyone should ask when it comes to social media: WHY.

There needs to be a reason you use any technology, not just because it is there. Take TV for example, if every hour was just a repeat of Alf, i'm sure it's place in our life would be vastly different (no offense to everyone's favorite, furry, cat-eating alien.) Far too many businesses and people for that matter are using outlets such as myspace or facebook merely because it is there, not because it actually serves a purpose.

My goal - so we are all clear here - is to rapidly expand my own presence and reach on the Internet. In the next few weeks this blog will be undergoing a major renovation as it shifts to a source of information and inspiration in the world of sports and travel, much more than just my current ramblings. Twitter will allow me to post new updates in realtime, give recommendations as to useful books, movies, and travel tips, and finally just be a way to reach out to new people.




Where will this lead? I have no pretentions, although it is shocking to see the far-reaching influence some enjoy, such as travel blogger "adventuregirl" above who boasts 1.3 MILLION followers. There are certain ways to monetize this, which I'm still learning, but it is definitely an interesting avenue to explore.

So go check out @jasonjohnson6 and start following!

No comments: