Sunday, January 20, 2008

Cucina!



As the countdown reaches one week before our journey to Italy, Christie has been dazzling me with her best Italian dishes.  I must admit that its funny - when we were dating the last place she wanted to be seen was the kitchen, but now (and thanks to long mornings spent with Rachel Ray and Everyday Italian with Giada De Laurentiis) she's cooking like crazy!  

I'm sure the food in Italy is going to be spectacular -- and in fact, we've already had two people offer to give Christie authentic Italian cooking lessons in Sicily!  (translation: begin the season as a QB - end the season as an Offensive Lineman!)


The dish pictured here is her version of Pasta Bologna - a hearty mixture of onions, carrots, mushrooms, and spices cooked with red wine and cheese... YUM!!!

The other interesting thing I've noticed as I prepare to depart is how similar my current condo is compared to my new home in Aci Castello -- check out the pics!
































My final commentary of the day (and yes, Dad, I know I'm not in Italy yet so you think I'm just filling space with rhetorical babble until I get there.. but this is 100% certified interesting to me) is that it is reassuring how close Italian is to Spanish romance language reference here>.  I did take a little Spanish in school (and living in Tucson helped too - there are even places there where the Stop signs read, 'Alto!') so hopefully I shouldn't be too lost.  The reason I bring it up is that when I went to look up what 'Kitchen' was in Italian (so I could title this post), I learned that the word is CUCINA in both languages!  Alright... I know A word!  Now all I need is a few more and I have a sentence!  Giddy up!

~ J. Twice 

No comments: