Sunday, January 27, 2008

Word of the Day: TINGO!

Easter Island... Home of TINGO

I'm pretty much completely packed right now and am in the final stages of clearing out our office.  However, as you've probably gathered, I have a certain ability to get distracted right in the middle of doing something... such as posting a blog in the midst of cleaning.

That being said, I have a tendency to collect interesting articles and tidbits that can be used at a later time (this might be officially the 2nd 'later time' in my brief history of collection).  In one such article, I found a description of perhaps the coolest word I think I've encountered in a long time... the type of word I hope to learn in Italy and incorporate into my everyday life.
  
TINGO (Pascuense, Easter Island)

"To take all the objects one desires from the house of a friend, one at a time by borrowing them."

What is cooler... the fact that someone actually does this?  Or that it is done so prevalently on Easter Island that it would necessitate a word?  And what does it take to become a Tingo master -- leaving your best friend in shambles?  Also, it would cause some interesting situations - such as being sure that the only place you ever hang out with your friends is at THEIR house.  Perhaps one day I can travel to Easter Island and do a documentary on a Tingo Master.  That would be cool... unless he likes Video Cameras and wants to borrow mine.  SAC.

I hope there is a website that I can nominate Tingo for "2008 Word of the Year."  I will let you know how we do... although we might face some tough competition from BAKKU-SHAN - a Japanese word that literally means, "A girl who is pretty from behind but not from the front."

Ok - back to packing!

~ J. Twice


No comments: