Thursday, February 14, 2008

Buon Santo Valentino!


Happy Valentine's Day from Italy!

The origins of Valentine's Day actually can be traced back to this country -- although there are various theories and stories about its actual beginnings.  All agree that it is named after a certain Roman named St. Valentine (or SANTO VALENTINO) who was a Christian martyr... However, WHICH ONE is something not so clear.  Up until 1969, the Roman Catholic church formally recognized 11 Valentine's Days.  That is a lot of flowers and candy!

While I'm not quite sure what the custom for Valentine's Day is here in Italy (members of the Elephants - who wish to remain nameless - have downplayed its importance) -- and seeing as my valentine is 10,000 miles away in North America... I thought I would take this time to point out how Valentine's Day is celebrated in Asia (according to Wikipedia):

Thanks to a concentrated marketing effort, Valentine's Day has emerged in ChinaJapan and Korea as a day on which women, and less commonly men, give chocolate or flowers. It has become an obligation for many women to give chocolates to all male co-workers. 
  
Men, please remind all female co-workers of this tradition!!!

Personally, I can't be with my wife on this Valentine's Day, so as an electronic card - I thought I'd post a picture that I know she would enjoy... and that's of her number one passion - DOGS!  (or more specifically, very small one's wearing clothes that cost more than mine and called DOODLAHS!)  This was taken at the restaurant where George and I typically eat breakfast.  Hope you enjoy the picture, my Valentine!  (And could there possibly be a market for Dog Spa's in Europe?  You be the judge!)

~ J. Twice

No comments: