Friday, February 22, 2008

When in Rome...

I promise I will not use that phrase in this post. I did however, think it about 100 times as I was walking around today. But let me back up a little…

I awoke this morning to George (my human alarm-clock) pounding on my bedroom door, “Get up! It’s 4:30am, time to go!” The reason for my early wake-up time (which has been more typically my bed time here), is that today Matt and I had decided to take a spur of the moment flight to Rome for two days while we had a quick break in our practice schedule.

For those of you who haven’t traveled in Europe lately, and have only heard people talk about how great the EuroRail system is (which I haven’t tried yet), flying can actually be a great (and faster/cheaper) way to get around. There are a number of budget airlines (think each country has its own Southwest or Westjet) – and we got a great deal on Windjet so decided to make the trip.

However, the one thing I have learned from this whole experience is that LIFE IS FUNNY. EVERYWHERE. If you have a ‘positologist’ attitude – and don’t sweat the small stuff – even the normal difficulties of traveling can be fun. For example, we hadn’t even gotten out of the Catania airport before life started amusing me. We arrived at the airport at 5:15 am for our 6:15 flight, so after checking-in went to find a quick snack. In America, just a Snickers bar might cost you almost $2 – but here a cornetto (and one of the best to date, at that) and bottle of water cost me only $1.30. I also saw a couple of signs that made laugh– one was definitely LOL and the other just a made me LOL and the other just a SAC!

Talk about ENERGY... Panino, Fountain Drink (Not found anywhere else in Europe), AND a Cannolo?! ALL IN!


LOL.

We landed no problem and easily caught a direct train into town. We grabbed a quick breakfast at Café Miani – a cool local café we stumbled across – and Matt enjoyed his first cappuccino! (George and I have one every morning, however this was actually the first time Count Matt-ula has been outside before 11:30 am… and it is frowned upon to have coffee – other than shots of espresso – after breakfast.) I think the Italians use this as an American indicator.

We dropped off our luggage and hit the town. When I travel (especially lately), the last thing I try to do is have a checklist… I’d rather let my adventures take me where they lead, and instead simply focus on the overall experience and enjoyment of the day. (And try to take a minimum of 200 photos of this experience.) With only two days here on this trip – we did take a more direct approach… and I can now cross the Coliseum, Parliament Hill, Pantheon, Spanish Steps, and Trevi Fountain off my list.
I will post many more pictures later, but the short story is that when you come to Rome – bring your running (walking) shoes! We must have hit the pavement for at least 10 miles… and I actually was forced to make one tighter notch on my belt (literally, not figuratively) as we toured the city. (Who would have thought I would lose weight in Italy? Pending book title: The Sicilian Diet).

We have much more to see, so don’t want to spend any longer in an internet café, but here’s some shots from the day!

~ J. Twice


Matt at the Colisseum. Around his neck hangs the audio guide... which we highly recommend!


JJ posing at the site of UFC -836.

Inside the Pantheon... really cool church with yes, a hole in the ceiling!

No comments: