Friday, February 22, 2008

Notes from Rome: Day 1


1) There is graffiti EVERYWHERE in Italy. I thought it was just Sicily, but Rome has been ‘tagged’ equally as hard. But there is a lot of graffiti in America too, so maybe the entire world is just one big canvas. However, in Rome I have discovered something unique… not only are the trains completely covered from front to back..


... but the PGA gets into the act here as well! Who would have thought the PROFESSIONAL GOLF ASSOCIATION – guys like Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson – would need to deface property to claim their territory? Perhaps I could send this to Sports Illustrated as “This Week’s Sign the Apocalypse is upon us…”

2) Rome is very, umm, touristy. Even in February (the WAY off-season), all the sights are packed. It seems everyone here speaks English better than I do, and you can be sure to pay DOUBLE the cost for HALF the amount of Gelato that you do in Sicily. There are even the obligatory photo-snapping, peace sign giving Asians!


Now, I know I take a lot of pictures, and I know I also have been known to “flash the deuce” a time or two, however the beautiful thing about being in Sicily is that it is NOT touristy, and I’m NOT the majority trying to speak English.

It just made me realize once again what a unique experience this has been so far, and that I would not change a thing about my decision to head a little of the ‘beaten track’ in coming to Sicily.

3) McDonald’s is Rome’s #1 restaurant... per capita. In our walk around town today, Matt and I counted at least 15 Golden Arches. I guess it’s good to know there is an unofficial American embassy around every corner… however, they are listed on our map like Metro stations. At least the one inside the Colisseum doesn’t open until 2009.

4) Do not say “When in Rome…” when you are actually IN ROME… that is cliché. (And please, whatever you do, don’t make it the title to a blog post!)

~ J. Twice

1 comment:

Mr. Iverson said...

I love the posts. Keep up the good pictures and good writing. I have you in my bloglines so evertime you enter a new blog, I am on top of it. Check it out!