Saturday, March 1, 2008

Bad 'Stache Bowling!

The good, the bad, and the ugly.  You decide who is who.

Burt Reynolds.

Salvadore Dali.

Jerry Colona.

The Dude. (Abides)

Jeff Hostetler.

Hitler.

Tom Selleck.

Matthew Epperson.

Matt and Brandon, "We look good!"  (Brandon actually went with the "Davide" -- very popular style among fashion-conscious Italians).

All have been famous at one point for a single strip of facial hair known as the mustache. I think even Lavar Burton once ‘rocked the ‘stache.’  (Note to readers: Spell check wanted me to change his name to Larvae Burton but I caught it!)  Epperson, along with teammates Jason Johnson, Brandon Bennett, and a trio of local Elephanti, achieved their “15 minutes of mustache fame” this Wednesday – as their stripped their young faces of all facial hair, except for the distinctive ‘STACHE.’

The crew.

But you don’t just shave it all for nothing – so we invented a little game called “BAD STACHE BOWLING.”  Yes, Sicily has bowling alleys (complete with the bad shoes, faint smell of smoke, and automatic pin machines that work some of the time).  One note: be sure you know your European size… let me tell you – rolling a full game in a 44 when you’re really a 48 makes a big difference.  Brandon also claims they are not ‘regulation’ – however we did not have a tape measure to verify.

Il Naturale -- also on the lanes.  Nice form Claudio!

 Purple Ball - perfect for Giulio.

While my dad has had a perma-stache (a sustained stache for over a 25 year period), I don’t think the look is as becoming on me. 

 SOCIAL COMMENTARY POINT:  Wearing the stache (along with 70s outfit and paperboy hat) made me feel very self-conscious and not myself.  As we walked down the street, I pictured everyone staring at me (actually a few did).  Furthermore, I was not nearly as outgoing, talkative, or energetic.  I can only imagine the number of people who go through life with a poor self-image and feel similar every day.  OR NOT.

Matt's good friend - the rose salesman.  Roses are a popular item offered by local vendors, as are tissues and small elephants.  Matt bought the red elephant for one US dollar... that's a steal!

This night is the typical type of ‘good times’ we have here in Sicily – just a bunch of really fun guys acting like they are 16 again.  Viva Elefanti!  

~ J. Twice


No comments: