Monday, March 24, 2008

Cold Sucks

The (now) seasoned traveler, bundled up with 3 layers and scarf.

As I continue to write this blog, I think one of my major motivations is to help provide small tidbits that can make anyone who reads this either: 1) More interesting to talk to at dinner parties, 2) A more prepared European traveler.  That being said, here's one piece of advise that I think you should all realize:

EUROPE IN THE WINTER IS COLD.  COLD IS NOT FUN.  IN FACT, COLD IS THE OPPOSITE OF FUN.  IF YOU WANT TO HAVE FUN, DON'T TRAVEL TO MOST OF EUROPE IN THE WINTER (WAIT UNTIL AT LEAST MAY.)

Don't get me wrong, I love Europe and I love traveling.  I love living in Sicily (where it is warm!)  However, after spending this entire morning in our hotel basement on the internet because it is 44 degrees (7 Celcius) and raining, with 30 km/hr winds, even the positologist gets a little frustrated... especially when we experienced the same thing in Paris.  It's not horribly cold, just 'too cold to comfortably enjoy walking outside and sitting on patios.'  I guess the best way to explain it (and yes, the sun did break and we did end up going to the island of Capri this afternoon), is this -- we love it here and are having a good time, but you can just feel how much better it would be in the summer heat.

The best time to come to Europe is when it is warm enough to leisurely stroll through cities in the sun, and before the crowds come.  Now if someone could just tell me when that is...

Ahh... 15 minutes of sunshine!

Wait a minute... what is that?!  The sun is breaking... gotta run!!!

J. Twice

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, this is the area that I wanted to see when I come to Italy. And I don't think I will be disappointed judging by the pictures you took.

Looks wonderful. Although I hope it is a bit warmer when we come.

Love you
Terry