Thursday, March 6, 2008

A Morning in Paris

Paris Pastries -- although not as abundant as I had hoped (there really isn't a shop on every corner) -- are still pretty darn cool looking.

While I've been a big advocate of "being a tourist where you live" -- and of also maximizing each possible day of a trip -- I think balance is also very important when you travel.  There is no way that you can be going 200 mph all the time, and expect to actually enjoy yourself.  After a while, its just another church.  And that's just another painting.  And that's just another amazing thing that would have been amazing had you not already seen 14 other amazing things that day.

Therefore, in the name of balance, we slowed ourselves down to have a more 'normal' morning on our 3rd Parisian day.  We meandered the streets, working our way down to the Plassy shopping district about 10 minutes from our hotel.  Christie walked through a few stores, such as H&M and The Gap, while I grabbed a Starbucks.  (I should note that my Grande Hazelnut Mocha cost me exactly 5.20 Euro... or the equivalent of $7.50 US.  And to think Americans complain about coffee prices!)

Displaying my $7.50 Starbucks... should I drink it or frame it?

We finally grabbed breakfast at a little cafe, called 'Grand Cafe de Manon,' where we each enjoyed a croissant and one other more indulgent chocolate treat.  Christie also had her first Fanta -- and now understands what Orange-Goodness is all about.  

And just while we had finally taken a mini "break" from our vacation... a vacation broke-out and we really started enjoying Paris at its best... small neighborhoods with personality, quaint charm, and an overall feeling of taking things slow.  I could get used to this...

~ J. Twice  

PS: its catching on...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey J, it's brother CJ!

Wow! Man, you're bringing back memories to our trip in '02! Pretty awesome stuff (and I do remember the 'more impressive' picture next to the Mona Lisa..) If you have any time left, go check out some Chateaus outside the city on the Seine River, go in the department store with the best views of the tower, or have fun at Disneyland Paris! But if you don't feel like it, then just 'be' in Paris! Sounds like an awesome time! Love you guys and glad Christie's there!

Anonymous said...

I meant the Loire River (not Seine).. sorry...