Sunday, March 16, 2008

Meet the QBs

Posing in the Milan studio after the Photo Shoot wearing "The White."

The money shot.

My jetsetting ways continued on Wednesday as I shot up to Milan for the day to do an Italian Football League photoshoot and interview with SportsWeek – the Italian Version of Sports Illustrated.  What a fun and unique experience!

I tend to befriend photographers... and Ugo "Flying" Zamborlini was no different.  Maybe its the fisheye? 

Catching the early flight out of Catania (delayed only 2 hours), I used my familiarity with the Milan Airport (thanks to an overnight layover dating back to our Paris trip) to quickly grab a cab to the studio in the ‘fashion capital of the world.’

The other QBs all relaxing in the 'green room' on white leather couches, just like movie stars.
When I arrived at “Studio 12” I found all the other players (one from each of the nine teams, nearly all quarterbacks) dressed in full-uniform, sitting on white leather couches like they owned the place.  I set down my bags and introduced myself, and was immediately struck with how friendly and down-to-earth they all were.  It was great to meet them, and hear the stories of who they were and what they were doing here in Italy. (Shockingly, they all came to play football).  Ranging from Harvard to Corpus Cristi, the QBs of the Italian Football League come in all shapes and sizes, but all seem ready to start the season and have the life experience of “Playing for Pizza” – although from my recent culinary experiences, I would be happy playing for a chunk of Parmesan cheese and Bacio Gelato.

The finished shot.  From left to right, its Palermo (Sharks), Catania, Parma, Milan, Bolzano, Bologna, Palermo (Corsari), and Bergamo.

Perhaps the funniest thing that happened on my Milan trip occurred after we had already finished taking the big group shot of all the quarterbacks.  Now, I think its clear (and judging by George's pictures of advertising in Italy) that Europeans believe that "sex sells."  SO... once the photographer had finished the 'normal' pictures - he told us all to take our shirts off and strip down to just the shoulder pads.  You could have seen the jaws drop on all the quarterbacks... as we had just finished a HUGE pasta lunch.  You see... QBs are not known for being the 'buffest' guys on the team... and a far cry from the old Bo Jackson poster from the "Bo Knows Bo" campaign.  Grudgingly, we all obliged... however I did here more than one player say, "Only in Italy..."

Look at all these hunks...

~ J. Twice


2 comments:

The Lindermans said...

That semi-naked shot is going to come back and haunt you someday...if not by anyone else, by me at least! :) Your uniforms kind of look like U of A!!!

Anonymous said...

J- come-on- you got to get us a poster size of that one!!!

-CJ