Sunday, June 8, 2008

Johnson's do Florence!

My parents Jim and Holly outside the overwhelming Duomo in Florence.

My parents are just beginning a three week trip to Italy - and what a better place to start than Florence!  We arrived via train just before noon, and spent the afternoon walking the historic streets, touring the duomo, and just soaking in the atmosphere.  It was an incredible introduction to Italian culture - especially in the food department (a 2.5 hour lunch!)

On one of Florence's many bridges with the Ponte Vecchio in the background.

My dad also discovered that he has the Johnson gene for GELATO.  Just a few blocks north of the Uffizi Gallery we discovered a gelateria called "Porche No!" - which directly translates to " WHY NOT!"  That was my dad's attitude - and when I looked away he went for his SECOND CONE in one visit!  Amazing!  (For those of you scoring at home, Porche achieved a 9 for flavor, 7 for texture, and 6 for wrist-action.)

"Signore Due" (aka "Mr. 2") posing outside his new favorite home, the gelateria "Porche No!"

And posing with #2 - this one a mix of fiordilatte, chocolate, and hazelnut!

We finished the day off with an incredible dinner at "Aqua al 2" - a very eclectic and fun Steak restaurant near the Arno river.  I will post pictures and a description tomorrow, but let me leave you with this one tidbit:  STEAK + BALSAMIC.  (Need I say more?)

~ J. Twice

2 comments:

The Lindermans said...

Mom and Dad have made the BLOG! This is BIG TIME!!! Dad...2 gelatos in one sitting??? I'm so proud! :.) Tear.

Love,
H

Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear they made it! 2 gelatoes is equal to about 1 Love It at Cold Stone...good job Jim, eat as much gelato as you can. You will never find anything even close here.I have been looking???
Enjoy! HUN