Wednesday, June 18, 2008

REALLY making plays...

My brother Chad Johnson making plays for Pacific Lutheran in college.  As a junior he led them to the 1999 Div. III National Championship.

As most of you know, I come from a strong "football family" - my Grandfather Frosty Westering is in the NCAA Hall of Fame as a coach, my uncle Scott Westering is currently the Head Coach at Pacific Lutheran University, and my other uncle, Gary Spani played many years as a Linebacker for the Kansas City Chiefs & now sits on their "ring of honor."

My brother and I grew up in this environment, so it was almost a given that we would follow in their footsteps.  From about knee high, my dad - who also played college football himself - would spend countless hours in our backyard throwing the ball with us (or playing whatever sport was in season) and teaching us how to play the sports we loved.  Soon we were ballboys for Pacific Lutheran, and later my brother would go on to become their most decorated quarterback in history, winning the Gagliardi Award his senior year as the top player in Division III football & leading them to the National Championship his junior year. 

Ballboys at an early age - trendy haircuts would come later.

In fact, it was my brother Chad who paved my way to come here by playing a season for the Schwaebisch Hall Unicorns in Germany's top league.  However, football comes to an end for all of us at some point - and Chad has become a "play maker" of a different sort... as the high school youth pastor of People's Church in Fresno, California.  In fact, this past weekend he took a group of over 100 students on a "Breakaway" where many new students came to know God and want to make a positive change in their life.

The following article appeared this weekend in the "FRESNO BEE" - highlighting the impact that Chad is making in the Fresno area and to the students he works with.  For while winning and losing is important to those who play football, there is a bigger game out there - and Chad is definitely making a difference there!  ATTAWAY CHAD!   


JOB PROFILE: Leading the way
Youth pastor is a 'bringer of hope.'
By Cody Ashford / Teen Press Corps
06/12/08 18:29:18

Sometimes, because of changing culture and trends, youth separate from the adults in their lives. But this detachment can leave the youth feeling abandoned, potentially lacking a moral or spiritual compass. Without a guiding figure or sounding board, teens could feel left adrift concerning issues they don't feel comfortable discussing with their parents.

That's where a youth pastor comes in. Providing words of encouragement and spiritual growth, he or she has the capability to connect and aid teens. Pastor Chad Johnson, who has run Peoples Church's Ground Zero Youth Ministries since November 2005, describes his own passion, what it takes to be a youth pastor and the road he took to get there.

Question: When did you decide you wanted to become a youth pastor?

Answer: During high school, I was an overachiever -- working hard in school, playing sports and trying to do the right things. I was a perfectionist, straight-A student, good athlete, etc., but even through my accomplishments, I was unfulfilled. I then got into the party scene my senior year thinking that would fulfill me, but I ended up more depressed and empty.

Through this time of struggle, I committed my life to Jesus Christ the freshman year of college. The newfound love, joy and peace that I experienced through the Lord made me want to share it with others. After becoming the starting quarterback for my college team and winning the national championship [Pacific Lutheran, NCAA Division III, 1999], I was given many opportunities to share my testimony with many high-schoolers. This led to leading a Bible study and eventually becoming a pastor.

What made you decide to become a high school youth pastor?

I was working as a college pastor in Tacoma, Wash., when my good friend Blake became the college pastor for Peoples Church. He told me about the high school opening ... I said, 'Lord, if this is you, please speak loudly!' My wife and I came down to Fresno for a weekend, and during this time we had a 'Matrix' moment, where you feel like everything that is happening around you has already been orchestrated by someone else. We went home, prayed about it and discussed it with family and friends, and then decided to pack up and move to Fresno.

What type of training did you have to go through to become a high school youth pastor?

While I was the college pastor at my former church, I was in an apprenticeship with my senior pastor. This involved much hands-on training, as well as taking classes in Greek, church history, Old Testament and New Testament. My pastor had the attitude where ministry is more caught, not taught, so he always pushed me into new and scary ministry opportunities.

How long were you in training?

Seven years. It started when I was still in college and continued as I became the college pastor.

What schooling did you take?

I went to school to become a businessman with the goal of making as much money as possible. But after the Lord changed my heart, I realized that people were more valuable than money, so I began to prepare for ministry after that.

What does your job consist of?

My job consists of many things, including praying, preparing and sharing messages to our youth twice a week, event planning, counseling, mentoring and leadership development. My main job is to be a bringer of hope to any high-schooler I come in contact with and to let him know that they are valued in the eyes of God.

How does this job affect your family?

Being a youth pastor at a large church can be time-consuming, but I am blessed that our executive pastor, Doug Holck, values families and marriages. Because of that, I make sure to get days off to spend with my wife and two kids. And while there are some activities that only I am a part of, I try to include my family on many of our trips as possible.

What do you enjoy most about your job?

I enjoy seeing kids encounter God in life-changing ways. We have many kids whose lives have been transformed ... they literally look like new people in a matter of months. Jesus Christ is alive today, and to see our kids experience him is the most rewarding thing about my job.

What qualities do you feel are important for a high school youth pastor?

First of all, a youth pastor must have a deep love for God. You can never lead someone where you haven't been yourself, and without God's love in your heart, you can't love others. They also must be friendly and approachable to kids. They must be able to listen and value each youth that comes through the door. Also, a youth pastor has to show integrity in his life, or else his words won't have any meaning. Many youth are already very skeptical of the church because of hypocrisy they have seen, so it is important to give them a consistent example to follow.

What does a normal day look like for you?

Actually, as a youth pastor, there is no such thing as a normal day. One day is administrative meetings, another is meeting with students, and another day is preparing a sermon. There are many different tasks depending on the day, which makes it fun for someone like me who likes variety in the week. But contrary to what people might think, there is a lot of work to do and it feels like there is never enough time. But I try to stay as focused as I can on the most important things.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Jason: I'm a 1987 St. John University (MN) alumnus. I came across your blog by way of a Google Alert I have set up for "Gagliardi." Although I played football prior to the great rivalry that developed between PLU and SJU in the 90's, I watched your brother Chad's stellar play at quarterback and sure admired your grandfather and the collegial spirit that developed between him and my former coach, John Gagliardi. That spirit extended to the players on both teams and the sportsmanship that developed was to me a great example of the best sports has to offer. Your grandfather's reputation for integrity and class proceeds him. I wish all the best as you begin your pro football career.

The Lindermans said...

I have the best brothers....and the best entire family in the whole world! LOVE YOU!!

H