Monday, July 21, 2008

'A Dopo' Catania!

The best part of this entire 'Really Playing for Pizza' experience was the friends we made.  Thank you to EVERYONE who helped us along the way - we appreciate it!

I can't believe it, but the time for us to depart from Catania has finally arrived.  It seems like just yesterday that I was boarding a plane from Edmonton heading to Europe for the very first time... guess time really does fly when you are having fun.

It blows my mind to think of all we have 'crammed' in to 6 months - from an incredible football season to our many travels across the continent - it truly has been a once in a lifetime experience.  However, even greater than the memories we have made or the lessons we have learned is the many new people we have met that we can now call friends.  The people in Sicily - especially the many members of the Elephant family - have shown us a type of hospitality that is rarely seen anywhere else in the world, and we are so lucky to have met all of you!!!   

The final 'moonrise' from Malibu took our breath away.  I can close my eyes anywhere and instantly remember the small boats bobbing in the water, the palm trees, and the Aci Castello castle in the distance.

For my wife Christie, it was especially great to have met such a close group of girlfriends.  The "Pink Elephants" (as christened by George) took her in like a long-lost sister, with a refreshing honesty and sincerity that was truly special.

For myself, I have lived in countless places for a similar period of time - Edmonton, Seattle, Tucson, Hawaii, Buffalo - and have never felt such hospitality and openness... THANK YOU!!!  

The gals - Giordana, Valeria, Christie, and Roberta.

"Popping the Balloons"  Trust me - this was not my idea to take this picture!

A lone fishing boat in the sunset.

JJ and CC.

The Sheriff and the Deputy.

'Cupino and Valeria.

The city of Catania lights up under Mt. Etna.  Seriously, the lava doesn't scare us.

Final Dip in the Ionian!


Because of all the amazing friends we have met, I know - no matter what - that this will not be my last time in Catania, whether I am able to play next season for the Elephants or not.  That is why when we left the city, it was not "Arrivederci" (Good-bye) for us, but merely "A Dopo" (See you later.  Stay Classy, Catania.

~ J. Twice

3 comments:

Mr. Iverson said...

I have enjoyed reading about your adventure there. I kind of felt like I was there at times. :)

Unknown said...

The last pictures of the moonrise and Mt. Etna over Catania are absolute breath taking. Some of the best ones you have taken. But as beautiful as they are, it is the people you will remember for much longer. Wonderful to have so many friends, new and old.

Terry

Anonymous said...

Thank you Jason for your wonderful Blog..
Dont't give up, stay with us..

a dopo..Jason&Christie!!

Italian Official

ciao!